Friday, June 10, 2011

End of School, Como Zoo & Other Random Updates

Well, the kids are officially on summer vacation!  Yesterday was the last day of school, and I now have a first and third grader!  Christian was happy, but Samantha was actually a little sad.  She really loves school.  They both had great teachers and made fantastic progress this year.

In celebration, we went to the Como Zoo today.  Sorry, no pictures, as I forgot my camera!  Most of the animals were sleepy, so there wasn't a lot of action.  Alex enjoyed the polar bear, and we all really liked the tiny baby Tamarin (the itty bitty monkeys with moustaches).  He was about 3 inches long, and rode on his daddy's back.  So cute!

When we were in the large cat house, several of the exhibits were empty, as the cats were outside.  As we approached the lion enclosure (which was empty), Christian yelled, "I SEE DOO DOO!"  (There was poop on the floor of the exhibit.)  All the parents around chuckled and rolled their eyes, all the little girls ran away, and a huge group of boys came running over to see it!  Ah, boys.  Who else would rather look at poop than lions and tigers?!  So proud.

After the zoo, we stopped at the Mississippi Regional Park.  I wanted to show Jeff the wading pool and elaborate play ground - I think it will be a good source of entertainment for him & the kids this summer.  Christian and Samantha jumped on a teeter-totter thingy, and Alex went running to join them.  Unfortunately, they were already moving when she got there, and it bonked her in the chin, forcing her mouth closed.  Her tooth bit almost all the way through her tongue.  OWIE!  There was a lot of blood, and a lot of tears.  There's nothing that doctors can do for your tongue, I guess, so on Grandma's advice, we gave her a popsicle and are keeping her away from salt.  She is acting normal now, so I'm hoping that means she isn't in pain.

Minnesota isn't cooperating in the weather department, unfortunately, so it does not feel like summer.  Earlier this week we set a record high temp of 103, but the next day we were back down in the 60s.  Yikes!  We've remained in the 60s and low 70s ever since.  Nevertheless, summer activities start next week!  Golf for Christian and tennis for Samantha.  I'm also still hoping to get all three of them signed up for swimming lessons.

No comments: