Monday, November 7, 2011

First Day of School, Again


Christian & Samantha started at their new school today.  They were a bundle of emotions - both super excited and a little nervous.  Their uniforms haven't come in yet, so they had to wear basic blue pants and a white or light blue polo.  They were both disappointed ("Mom!  I want to wear my tie!") and you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find school uniform clothes this time of year!  Really, shouldn't basic blue pants be a staple?  They just don't take up valuable store space with school uniforms, I guess.  So we hunted and hunted, and finally found one pair for Samantha and a couple for Christian.  I ordered more online last night, but they won't come in for another week or two.  The tie, sweaters and skirts should be here this week, so I'll have a cuter picture of their uniforms soon.  (And no, the tie is not required, but my Casanova wants to wear it!)

We also had to buy all new school supplies, unfortunately.  The folders and notebooks that we had purchased in August were the wrong colors, they didn't have enough pencils left (what on earth they each did with 3 dozen pencils, I have no idea!) and their crayons/markers, etc. were labeled with their names, and at the new school those things are for communal use and cannot be labeled.  So we had a nice, expensive trip to Target yesterday.  Thankfully, the uniforms will be tax deductible, so that will help!

So we had an early night last night, followed by an early morning this morning.  The new school starts an hour earlier than the old school, and goes 30 minutes later in the afternoon.  (A total of a 7 1/2 hour day.)  Jeff made them scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast (a rare weekday treat - we usually have cold cereal or toaster waffles).  I made them each a lunch and snuck in a little love note to each of them.  We all drove to school together, since their school supplies were too much for them to carry.  We got them each settled in their new classes and slipped out of school 7 minutes later.  I know it is a good idea to make your goodbyes quick - easier on the kid - but I wish I could be a fly on the wall right now to see how their first day is going!

I'll try to post tomorrow to let you all know how it went!

No comments: