Thursday, September 29, 2011

Toddler Rules of Ownership Realized

Alex: "Isn't my [stuffed] turtle cute, Mommy?"
Me: "Yes, adorable.  Does he have a name?"
Alex: "Mine."
Me: "Your turtle's name is Mine?"
Alex: "No, MINE."
Me: "Your turtle's name is Yours?"
Alex: "Yeah."


In case you're unfamiliar with the Toddler Rules of Ownership, here it is (sorry, I don't know the author, so I can't give credit):

1. If I like it, it's mine.
2. If it's in my hand, it's mine.
3. If I can take it from you, it's mine.
4. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
5. If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.
6. If I'm doing or building something, all the pieces are mine.
7. If it looks just like mine, it is mine.
8. If I saw it first, it's mine.
9. If you are playing with something and you put it down, it automatically becomes mine.
10. If it's broken, it's yours.
11. If it's broken, but you are having fun playing with the pieces, it's mine again.
12. If there is ANY doubt, it's mine.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

This is really funny! Courtney just learned that word 2 days ago.... I think I've heard it a million times already :)