Friday, March 18, 2011

I'm Baaaaack!

Due to popular demand, I'm back after a 3 month hiatus.  My apologies to my readers!  :-)

Life is good.  Christmas and Alex's birthday were excellent.  I won't bore you with the details now, but suffice it to say that both entailed much spoiling.

Christian's birthday is in a week.  He'll be EIGHT!  He, too, will be spoiled rotten.  We're having his family birthday party the day after his birthday, and the next week is spring break.  We decided to wait until the weekend after the return to school for his friend party, in case anyone is going out of town.

All three kids are still enjoying school.  Report cards came out for all three of them this week.  (Who knew that toddlers got report cards?!)  Naturally, they are all doing exceptionally well!  (No mom bias there.)  Christian got all S+ and Os (S=satisfactory, O=outstanding).  Samantha got all 2+ and 3s (2=consistently at grade level, 3=above grade level).  Alex is at or above all of her developmental milestones.

Parent-teacher conferences were a few weeks ago, and it is so nice to hear how well they are doing.  Samantha's teacher had only wonderful things to say about her.  She is an eager learner, bright, and kind.  Christian's teacher noted big improvements - especially in his abililty to pay attention.  We have had some concerns in that area, but she discovered that allowing him to stand rather than sit in his desk all but eliminates his day dreaming.  He is not disruptive, nor does he wander.  He is just better focused standing next to his desk.  We are lucky that his teacher is ok with this.

Molly was in to the vet last week, and she appears to have the beginning of kidney disease, along with possible melanoma in her eye.  She is almost 12 years old now, and not in any pain, so we are simply going to watch both of these things and make sure that we can keep her comfortable and having a decent quality of life.

We've been struggling with illness here for the past 2 months.  We had the crud in late January, which was miserable.  I even missed a day of work, which is highly unusual for me, since I work from home.  The kids both missed several days of school.  The virus attacked Samantha's legs, making it painful for her to walk for several days after the cold/flu symptoms went away.  It was scary, but the doctor assured us it wasn't dangerous.  We were well for a few weeks, and then got sick again.  The kids all had high fevers (104+) and we all had cold symptoms.  It turned out that everyone but me had strep, so we've all been on antibiotics (yes, even me - as a preventive measure).  Everyone else got better, but I couldn't kick my cough.  I finally went to the doctor when I thought I may have cracked a rib, and it turns out that I have Whooping Cough!  I've been on stronger antibiotics for 3 days now, and feel much better.  I am definitely ready for winter to be over so that we can throw open the windows and get rid of these germs!

I recently got a promotion at work, which is exciting, but also results in less "free" time to do things like update the blog.  I am now the manager of the proposal content team and have 2 direct reports.  We're working on a very high profile project right now, which is resulting in some late nights for me.  It is a good thing I have a supportive husband!

So, you're now caught up on our lives.  I'll do my best to post more often than every 3 months!

-Jen

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Welcome back! Glad to hear you're all on the mend and that the kiddos are doing so well in school.

Beth said...

So glad you're back - we love to hear and see what's going on with you guys!