Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Try, Try Again

I recently joined an online site that provides a week's worth of dinner recipes, complete with shopping list, for $1.25.  I figured it was worth a try, right?  I have been bored with the dinner process for some time, and wanted to spice it up, but didn't want to do the work of hunting down new recipes.  I tend to resort back to my old stand-by recipes (or fast food) unless I make a meal plan before I go shopping each week.

Tonight, I tried the first recipe.  It is in the oven right now, so I can't tell you how it tastes.  But I can tell you that the process of learning a new recipe (even a fairly simple one) can be messy.  It is a quiche-like meal with bacon, eggs, whipping cream, cheese and cabbage.  (Cabbage?  I know, right?  Time will tell.)  Time got away from me, and I was growing concerned about how late dinner would get on the table.  Thankfully, each of the kids had a large snack when they got home from school.  Anyway, I started to pour the egg/cream mixture into the pie crust so that I could finally put it in the oven.  But the pie crust was already so full of bacon, cheese and cabbage, that the egg/cream overflowed, and spilled onto the counter, dripped down the cabinets and pooled on the floor.

$#&@**&%!

Frustrated with the whole process, I was about to throw the darn thing in the garbage and order out.  Christian, my amazing son, said, "Mom, you're the best cook in the whole world!  I KNOW you can make it work.  Please, try again.  If you can't fix it in 10 minutes, then we'll order food."

Huh, I guess all that parenting crap I spew out at him is actually sinking in.  (No, I don't actually think it is crap - I really believe what I tell him!)  To tell the truth, I am not at all excited about trying this dinner tonight.  I would much rather order Jimmy Johns at this point.  But, if I expect Christian to get back on the horse and try, try again, I guess I'd better do it, too.

(I'll let you know how the Bacon Cabbage Pie turns out.)

2 comments:

Sue said...

and how did it turn out? With 3 kids, I learned quickly that trying recipes w/ different ingredients was just not worth it!

Jen said...

Actually, it turned out great! The kids LOVED it! I don't know that it will become one of my go-to recipes, but I would eat it again. (Oh, but Sammie tried to pick out the individual pieces of shredded cabbage. So much for the healthy part.)