Thursday, August 26, 2010

Pooltime Fun

For the four weeks leading up to the first day of school (September 7), I took Wednesday off each week.  My goal is to spend some quality time with the kids enjoying summer before it is gone again.  We aren't taking a family vacation this summer, so the kids and I are just going to do fun things around town. 

On August 11, we went to the Anoka Aquatic Center for the day.  It is a small-scale water park, in that it has a very large twisty slide, some play structures, diving boards and an adventure walk.  Christian loved the diving board, although he was disappointed that he wasn't allowed to go off the high board (10 feet).  I gave him permission, but the pool rules are that you first must dive head-first off the low board before you're allowed off the high board.  Christian hasn't learned how to dive yet.  He was disappointed, but I was relieved.  After Becky's friend's boy fell from the high board onto cement, I have no desire to watch my 7-year-old attempt the high board!

Samantha couldn't wait to go down the slide.  Christian decided to let his sister try it first to see if it was fun before he attempted it.  It turns out it was VERY fun!  The kids went down it about 8 times in a row.

Aside from the 10-minute safety breaks every hour, we were in the pool from noon until 4pm.  I was hoping for some R&R in the lounge chairs, but the lifeguards wouldn't let Sam in the pool without me.  Even though she is an excellent swimmer, the rule is that every child under age 7 must be within arm's reach of an adult at all times.  So Mommy got to swim all day, too!  The kids, who have spent a lot of time outside this summer, came home with gorgeously sunkissed skin.  I, on the other hand, had burned shoulders and blistered lips.  It was totally worth it, though!

And if you're wondering, I sent Alex to daycare.  I plan to bring her with us for the rest of our summer adventures, but I decided it would be too difficult to manage a 7- and 5-year-old plus an 18-month-old in the pool.  She didn't know the difference and was perfectly content at daycare.

Last Wednesday (August 18), we attempted an indoor pool, complete with Alexandra.  It was not nearly as fun, as it was packed shoulder-to-shoulder with people (it was a crummy day outside).  The kids still had fun, although the slide is much faster than at the outdoor pool, and Sammie got sucked under, after which I got lectured by the lifeguard.  Alex learned that it is really fun to jump off the side of the pool.  This is great if mommy's arms are waiting.  Not so great if mommy is three feet away helping big sister.  Everyone survived, though, and we may even attempt that pool again on a less crowded day.

This week: Como Zoo.  Stay tuned for a separate post on that.

No comments: